Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Thought I was done!


When I finished my last posting on this blog.  I never thought I'd ever do it again.  I had just completed a terrible 18 month experience - building my Manasquan, NJ  dream house.  Read the blog.   Only a fool would have the experiences I had and then repeat it.  So, Here I am 31 months later.  Let the action begin with EntireInc-St Augustine, FL.
Pennington Point condo
Former home in Manasquan
New project actually started to take shape when we moved to Pennington Point from Manasquan August 2015. There is no beach at Pennington Point-DUH! So after a couple of months the need for a beach started to creep into my very being.
A trip to Florida, away from the cold of NJ in Mar/Apr 2016 made me realize I could kill two bird (escape the winter cold and walk to the beach) with one stone(build a home in Florida).  Ronnie and I explored the East coast of Florida from Amelia Island to Vero Beach.  We fell in love with St Augustine Beach.  With family already in the Jacksonville/St Augustine area it seemed a logical choice. The previous two winters we had spent some time in the Jacksonville area and knew we would enjoy living there.  Several house hunting trips during the past 6 months couldn't produce an existing home that we felt met our dream.  So in August 2016 we made an offer on a lot in St Augustine Beach - 4 blocks(as the crow flies) from the beach.




and in a nice year round community.  We closed on the lot about a month before Hurricane Matthew blew into town.  St Augustine was hit hard.  The neighborhood where we bought had no problems- No water in the streets,  No trees down, No house damage to neighbors.  Our lot sits at 10 feet above sea level and the 500 year flood level is currently at 9 feet.
We spent some time in September looking at homes being built in St Augustine and met Zak Adams, the owner and president of  Entire Inc homes of St Augustine. (see link above).
Over the past couple of months we have been working by internet with Zak, designing and finally arriving at the home we will build.
We went into the build process thinking a 2 story home and after a lot of talk with the builder and family we chose a single story, about 1750sq ft .
To be continued as the building process proceeds.

No comments: