Friday, May 08, 2009

A new Tattoo

This is my right forearm. For anyone reading this blog who doesn't know: my twin brother Charles, aka Pat, lost a battle against Pancreatic Cancer on February 14, 2008. He was my identical twin and my best friend. He had a Celtic weave tattoo on his right forearm. His tattoo was similar to the one shown here, but without the color.
I consulted with him before I got my first tattoo(a 60th birthday present to myself). I remember calling him from Venus Beach, CA before going into the "House of Ink", to get his advice, and the wisdom of his experience.
I also had a Celtic design, somewhat different than his and I had it put on my left forearm.
Since Charlie's death I've been trying to think of a way to memorialize him with a tattoo. I didn't want to just copy his tattoo I wanted something that said more.
My copilot has several works of art from Neptune Tattooville. He recommended an artist (Kevin) and I went and met him last week before my trip to San Fran. I showed him my brother's tattoo and asked his advice on combining it with a red poppy. (Why the Red Poppy?)
My brother, Charles is a decorated war hero-having won the Distinguished Flying Cross for heroism while flying helicopters in Vietnam. The red Poppy is the international symbol of remembrance. I wanted to honor his memory and his service. Kevin came up with the final design

This my forearm now. Charlie's Celtic Weave and a red Poppy centered in it.
I didn't need it to remember my brother.
I did it, as a way, to get him back in my life. I hope everyone who sees the tattoo will ask me about it. I can't explain it without talking about my brother, the missing part of me.
Thanks Kevin Cavanaugh at Neptune Tattooville.







3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice, Dad.
Meg

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Morgan has a celtic shamrock on her back. I'm working on getting my first tattoo. Trying to find the right person to do it. Maybe I need to make a trip to Neptune!
Cindy

Anonymous said...

I had missed this post until just now. It brings tears to my eyes. I'm so glad you got that tattoo.
I love you Dad, very much, or as my Patrick would say, "I love you 10,10,10,10,10...".
E