Sunday, March 08, 2009

Horrible Dinner Experience at Avanti-Pennington, NJ

As long time Pennington resident, I’ve eaten at Avanti on many occasions. I took some good friends there last night-What a MISTAKE! We had reservations for 7:30 and were seated on time. That's the only thing good about the evening.
We all ordered from the "daily specials" menu, after waiting about 20 min for someone to come to the table. The men ordered a delicious pork and chicken dish. The ladies ordered the beef filet tips. After another delay, the waitress advised the ladies that there was only one order of the beef filet left. She suggested pairing the beef with chicken and splitting it. We agreed. The meals were delivered and we all started eating. The waitress returned to the table to let us know she had mixed the orders up. Beef and chicken went to the men, pork and chicken to the ladies. OH well! No big deal we are married couples. We switched meals with our spouses and got on with dinner. The ladies found the beef inedible-lots of grizzle running through the beef. No one came by the table to see how our meal was. So we didn’t complain until the maître d came by after the dinner. She was very insistent that she would remove the cost of 1 meal-the split beef. We told her it wasn’t necessary but she insisted. When the bill came there was no reduction. I sought her out and she told me the cook refused to reduce the bill because we were taking the uneaten food home. We all have dogs-that is what you do!
I asked her why she didn’t come back and explain that to me after spending time at our table and insisting we allow her to remove the price of the meal.
She told me it was not her call. It was the cook’s. And I was embarrassing her in front of the other guests. I asked to speak with the cook. She refused. I went back to the table to finish my coffee and found the wait staff cleaning our table with fresh coffee poured and our guest sitting at the table. I asked if we could finish our coffee and wine uninterrupted. They told me the maitre d had directed them to clean our table without regard to our unfinished meal.
After leaving the restaurant, I noticed the cook standing by the back door to the kitchen. I told him through the door that our meal sucked and I continued walking to my car. He came out of the restaurant and yelled at me "I hope you die, you M...F... old man. You're a M...F... F...!
It was unbelievable.

No comments: