Monday, March 16, 2009

Some island flovor


Here's a great local restaurant in the "Fish Fry district" which is a waterside area of about 15 restaurants which serve the local fare. We all had grouper fingers with the traditional rice with peas, and macaroni(which is a mac and cheese) served with many meals. The name of the place is "Twin Brothers". We had a great meal and the place is also known for their rum drinks which we all ordered.
We sat on the balcony exactly where the couple are sitting in the photo



This is a timed shot with Ronnie's camera. it was the best of about 3 bad shots but I wanted everyone to see we're still alive.










I got up this AM and went to the local Superwash to wash the last few days worn clothes. Washers and dryers are not a common thing in the local homes. This pace had about 50 washers and dryers of varying sizes. I put my clothes in the washer and asked where I might find a cup of coffee. It was not yet 8AM. The woman selling the detergent and giving the change suggested the restaurant across the street. I found the restaurant closed but the owners saw me at the door they were eating breakfast with their children(boys about the age of Patrick and Tiernan). I told them I was looking for a place to buy a cup of coffee. I was invited in and given a cup of coffee. Spent about 30 min reading the paper and enjoying the interaction of the boys arguing over an orange and picking at their breakfast of a hot dog and scrambled eggs. When I went back to the laundromat, my clothes had been put in a dryer by the attendant who explained she was just saving me some time. I am very impressed with the friendliness of all the locals, the children are very well behaved and always dressed nicely. The public schools have a uniform which is nice to see. Having a good time. See you on Sunday.

No comments: