Thursday, March 12, 2009

Preping for the Bahamas

Had a 'per diem' Captain fill in for me on a 6AM flight to Toronto this morning. My departure to the Bahamas was scheduled for noon and I was planning on doing the Canada trip myself. As things often do, in this business, the noon departure turned into a 1630 departure (1500 crew show time)with a stop in Boca Raton on the way to the Bahamas. That will put me on approach to Nassau at about1930 tonight. If I had done the 6AM flight, I would have had a 0430 show at the airport and would be dragging by Nassau landing time. For $600 plus expenses, a captain on another Hawker based at Mercer County airport filled in. He was off today and $600 for a morning's work is always welcomed.
I checked the weather and am looking forward to light winds, scattered clouds, a 96% waning Gibbous moon, and 80 degrees at Boca and Nassau. Passenger and crew info sent to Bahama Customs this AM and confirmed receipt. Catering (fruit, cheese, sandwich and cookie platters)ordered from Whole Foods catering. The passengers love them. Flight caterers are notoriously high priced and Whole Foods will be every bit as good or better and cost less than half of what airport catering would cost. It has to be picked up and that's a great job for the co-pilot.
Now, I just need the airplane back from Canada with no problems.
Next blog from the Bahamas
PS. The photo was taken on a recent trip to Florida. I'm waiting for take-off clearance at Fort Lauderdale Airport, off to my left is a public road. 10-12 people with cameras are stand by the security fence, some on their cars, taking pictures of airplanes. I found this picture on-line at:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If all went according to plan I guess you are in the Bahamas. Sounds good to me! Enjoy yourself and go easy on that heel.
Love, E