Tuesday, March 10, 2009

South Beach Miami




This is the first of a travelog of my flights in the Hawker N170DC, pictured here. I'm going to comment on the places I stay, the sights I see, the restaurants, etc.

This trip started from Trenton Mercer County airport, NJ. The airplane is based there in a hangar owned and operated by Ronson Aviation.

Ronson is for sale, and the sale can only makes things better. They don't have their heart in it anymore and the tenants suffer. That will be another story, I'm sure.
I departed Trenton, right on time, at 1800 or 6PM (get used to the 24 hour clock). We only had four passengers, allowing room for a 10 person survival raft required for water routes, so I filed an overwater route. When the plane is full, 8-9 passengers and bags, there often isn't room for the raft and we have to file land routes. It adds about 15 minutes to the enroute time. That may not seem like a big deal but at 300 gals an hour @$4.50/gal for fuel, that's $22.50 a minute just for fuel.
Arrived in Opa Locka (KOPF), an airfield about 8 miles north of Miami, at 2030, ok 8:30PM.
Limo met our passengers, and the line crew pulled my rental car up to the airplane for our crew bags. If you travel a lot, Hertz Gold membership is the best auto rental arrangement. If you are eligible for USAA membership, Hertz Gold is free and the USAA discount is an added bonus. Boy! do I save my boss money! It takes about 20 minutes to put the airplane to bed for an extended stay, (gear pins, engine covers, window shades, cabin clean up, lav service etc.) Southbeach is about a 30 min drive from Opa Locka. The choice of hotel for our stays is a crew decision. We are asked to be reasonable since it all goes on a corporate business card. The same goes for our meals on the road. Our boss picks up the tab. I hear from the accountants that the jet crew are very frugal and so we have never had an issue with our expenses for hotels or meals. After checking in, a quick change to shorts and sandals, and out to find some dinner. Sunday, we sat down for dinner at about 2215, a very late dinner for us but we had gotten to the airport at 1600 in prep for the flight and didn't have anything to eat enroute. We walked to Espanola Way and ate at Hosteria Romana "Where Italians go for Italian". A very good meal but a little pricy-basic pasta dish $18. Surprising number of late night diners. weather was ideal for the outdoor tables and Espanola Way was loaded with tourist. Back to the hotel for much needed sleep by midnight.
I personally, prefer the Marriott line of hotels and use them when available. I had reservations at the Courtyard South Beach on Washington Av. It wasn't my first choice but with college week in full swing many of the hotels were booked. I always book a discount rate using AAA or military, or senior citizen. They all allow 2 rooms at the discouted rate and it allows my co-pilot to get the same rate and perks. The South Beach Courtyard is about 3 short blocks from the beach, and its 2 blocks south of Lincoln Road (a 4 block pedestrian mall) with score of restaurants and shops. It's also only a block and 1/2 north of Espanola Way which is a 1 block pedestrian road of shops and restaurants. The hotel is ideally located but in need of modernization, which I was told, by the manager, is forthcoming. I let them know, as a frequent Marriott traveler, the rooms were very disappointing.
Now the weather in Miami could not be any better, slight breeze, clear skies, 75-80 degrees. I normally get up about 0630, it's the same 6:30am, give my wife a call if it's a school day, and read the papers. At the Marriott, I always get a USA Today and the Wall St Journal delivered to my door, a perk of frequent traveling. I check for mail on the internet, check for schedule or passenger changes on the current and future flights, make any necessary calls,ie weather, fueling arrangements, customs or flight services, that are necessary, and plan the day.
Monday night we walked to Lincoln Rd. mall and ate at Pizza Rustica. Very good pizza and some great combinations. Their signature pizza is excellent. If you ever go, don't overorder. The slices are the size of a 1/4 pie and the 14inch pizza is more than enough for 2. After a couple of beers at Van Dyke's Cafe-a sports bar, headed back to the hotel for "24". But not before stopping at "Paul" Maison de Qualite-a french patisserie. The almond/apple tort and a cup of coffee togo made "24" all the better.
Today is a checkout day at the hotel. We don't depart until 1830, so I asked for, and got a late checkout at 1500-normally approved for Marriott frequent guest. That gives me time for a run and a shower before departure to the airport. We have at least an hour of prep for each flight; arrange for catering, flight plan and passenger brief print outs, make coffee, check for weather or ATC delays, load the Flight Management System with the clearance routing, prepare the cockpit and cabin, and cool or heat the cabin prior to passengers arriving.
We should be back in the hangar at Trenton by 2200.
Next flight: 0600 takoff to Toronto on Thursday followed by a 1400 departure the same day to Nassau, Bahama.
Stay tuned.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dad,
Glad you are blogging again. I like your recent posts. I know your job has its drawbacks at times, but it sounds pretty good to me! Cate and I are looking forward to seeing you tomorrow.
Meg

Anonymous said...

Interesting reading Dad. I think I might like being a pilot, but since that isn't happening, I'll just live vicariously through you. Keep it up!
E